ShareGate Desktop Suggestions

Welcome to the ShareGate Desktop suggestions forum! We love to hear new ideas from you, so don’t hesitate to share your thoughts.

For each idea you share, please include:
1. A description of the idea
2. Why it’s important to you

Also, be sure to comment and vote on the ideas you like!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Revamp the Authentication System

-I would love to have only to submit one set of credentials (and maybe have to say “use for all”, for example) and then have source and destination login with these automatically.

-Keep my credentials saved so i dont have to reauthenticate every single time

-When performing a migration i’m being asked to sign in for both the source and the destination whereas a lot of the time its the same credentials for both. I.e. Within the same tenant. It would be helpful to just be able to signin once at the beginning of a session.

-saved credentials / accounts. …

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Tenant App ID/Secret

Allow Sharegate to use App ID/secret credentials to connect to the tenant (or site collection).

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Forgetting and/or Not Remembering Site (credentials) options in Sharegate Explorer

When connecting to a site in the Migration tool, you have options to not remember the site, and you can forget sites that are already remembered.

It would be mandatory to not preserve that information in the Sharegate Explorer as well for some users. It seems to go against policy to do so.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Support for Multi-factor Authentication through cellphone apps

Authentication through MFA with external applications is complicated to set up and only works if authentication is retrievable by Browser.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. App Authentication

Publish an app in the SharePoint store with the permissions set to full control for the site collection and allow app only calls. Then add an option for App Authentication in the ShareGate desktop app that uses the ClientId and ClientSecret from the app to authenticate.

A site collection admin can then add the app to their site, and allow any user with ShareGate to perform the migration.

Benefits include not having to log in, not having to grant site collection admin access, and the metadata would appear as ShareGate instead of the user performing the action.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Rename connections with a nickname

I would like the ability to add a nickanme to the farm drop down in the explorer view. this would help us find farms that we use nicknames for.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ability to Change Browsers During Browser Authentication

When multiple tenants are accessed with different user names, allow user to select which browser session to authenticate if using browser authentication (user connected to multiple tenants in multiple browsers).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adding support for other browsers would require quite a lot of effort from our engineering team and would requires more effort to maintain it.

We chose to use IE since it is installed on all machine that are using ShareGate, since the application can only run on Windows.

I’m going to decline this suggestion since we won’t attack it.

Please keep giving us suggestion as it can help us improve our product.

9. Different default connection for both source and destination sites

One enhancement I'd like to pose for consideration is the ability to have a different default connection for both source and destination sites. I am rarely migrating content between the same site and this feature would come in handy when I am updating the content of several lists between 2 databases.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Use Sharegate without SCA rights

Is there a way to use Sharegate without site administration permissions? ( we used another tool which allow migration of sites and objects without having full administration permissions – the person currently tasked to manage these activities has Site design access.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Declined  ·  Nathalie responded

Site Collection Administrator rights are required to connect to all Site Collections on your farm. This is recommended on both the source and the destination site collections in order to take advantage of all Sharegate options.

Thanks for taking the time to post this idea. We looked at it with the team and for now have decided that it’s not something we will be working on short term.

We’ll keep looking at the requests and update if we anything changes

11. Remember "Authentication", "Allow single sign-on (SSO)", "Add connection to explorer" choice

Hi,

I frequently use ShareGate Desktop to copy documents from and old on-premise SharePoint environment to newly created sites in SharePoint Online and each time I start a new copy operation I have to make the same 3 choices on the "Select destination" screen. I set Authentication to Browser (it always defaults to "Current Windows user"), I deselect Allow SSO because I have to log in as a separate user from the one in Windows (licensing reasons), and lastly I usually don't want to add the connection to explorer.

My suggestion is for ShareGate Desktop to remember the current choices…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. allow manage reconnect settings

often during on prem migration need to watch for outages and manually reconnect, would be nice to have an ability to manage reconnect pause or avoid it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Active Authentication process

Some companies use active/passive authentication process. ShareGate supports the passive authentication process but not the active one,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add a SharePoint Online example using an email address in the connection screen

"other user" let's you use any type of format you want (straight username, domain/user, e-mail address, etc.) but only the domain/user format is displayed and it can be confusing to users.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base