ShareGate Desktop Suggestions

Welcome to the ShareGate Desktop suggestions forum! We love to hear new ideas from you, so don’t hesitate to share your thoughts.

For each idea you share, please include:
1. A description of the idea
2. Why it’s important to you

Also, be sure to comment and vote on the ideas you like!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to apply "restore inheritance" to sub-folders

The problem I have is that this particular library has multiple folders and each with many more child folders.

It would be good to have the option to apply to sub-folders

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Make Add Connection to Explorer UNCHECKED by default.

I will check it if I want to add a connection, but I have to unselect it almost everytime...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  01- Migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Teams Private Channel Site Template Report

Please add the MS Teams Private Channel site template to the list of templates I can run a report on.

Private Channel (MS Teams) Template ID: TEAMCHANNEL#0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  04- Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Changing Migration Report Name Broke

When you edit the report name for a migration/migration report, the new report name is not preserved when you Export/Save the report.

This feature use to work! Please fix!

Thanks!

John Stagich

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Support the migration of mega menus in SPO modern

Since January 2019, there's a new element in the SPO modern environment called mega menus which is a re-skin of the site navigation. They are not currently being migrated on a 1:1 basis.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  01- Migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Replace the X button with a Save button in the Copy options screen

The x in this “Copy Options” dialog box appears to be a Cancel button, not a Save button. ShareGate is normally so on top of its UI decisions – it’s good to know that you’re at least somewhat human. If in a later iteration you could change this to a Save button, us full mortals would be so much more deeply in love with you and your product!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  15- User interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix date jump when editing scheduled migration

A couple of times now I've scheduled a migration to run later the same day. Then I decide I need to change the start time only, not the date. If I I go to the Scheduled tab, edit the schedule for the migration, the date automatically changes to the following day as soon as the schedule window opens. This has screwed me at least a couple of times because I didn't notice it since I only changed the time and didn't touch the date. This only happens when editing the schedule for a migration scheduled for today, not for migrations…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bring back the edit button on default reports

I’m really enjoying v10 and all the streamlining you did. I do miss though the ability to customize an out of the box report and save it as a personal report. It appears there is no longer an edit/pencil icon and I have to create the custom report from scratch so it usually takes me a few trial and errors to get it right.

For example, I wanted to edit the sites with no activity for 6 months and make it 12 months. Before I thought I could edit the existing report parameters, though I could be mistaken.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  04- Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With the release of the latest patch, it is now possible to duplicate and modify default reports so that they match you needs.

Thank you for your suggestion. Please don’t hesitate to give us feedback again in the future, it is always appreciated.

9. Rename Tasks

File migration jobs have a default name that cannot be changed. This creates lots of jobs with (near) identical names making it nearly impossible to determine which job is which task.

Make that option available in the UI and for Powershell jobs

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

With today’s release of ShareGate Desktop, you can now rename your migration tasks, both in the UI when you migration has started or in PowerShell using the -TaskName argument.

I’m closing this suggestion as we don’t plan to do it for reports. If this is something you wish to have in the future, please don’t hesitate to submit a new suggestion.

For the full release notes, please see: https://support-desktop.sharegate.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025997452

10. Type/Search in drop-down lists

When I am about to edit a Transformation, after a report ran, for me, Major Versions, I go to set Versions, then I want to click M for Major Vesrsion, is there a way to type that and have it scroll down through the M's to get to Major?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  15- User interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to Automate the Export of Scheduled Reports

Some users would find extremely practical to be able to have Sharegate automatically export the scheduled report to a predetermined location on drive. This would help bring them to meetings, and help team manage their SP environments.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  04- Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added the ability to automatically export reports and migration reports to a SharePoint document library upon completion of the task. By leveraging the power of Microsoft Flow (or workflow for on-premise users), you will be able to move that report to wherever you want, be it to a local drive, email or PowerBI, etc.

The options can be found in the setting screen of the report or in the options tab for migrations.

For the full content of the release, please see: sharegate.com/blog/automatically-export-rep..

12. Automatic Export of Scheduled Tasks

I have a few tasks on a weekly schedule. I thought it would be great if a completed task could be automatically exported to a SharePoint library for end-users to see and work with. Now I’m the only one in the company of 2000 employees that can run sharegate. I won’t be able to run tasks on demand. It has to be some automated functionality.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve added the ability to automatically export reports and migration reports to a SharePoint document library upon completion of the task. This also applies to scheduled tasks. By leveraging the power of Microsoft Flow (or workflow for on-premise users), you will be able to move that report to wherever you want, be it email or PowerBI.

For the full content of the release, please see: https://sharegate.com/blog/automatically-export-reports-to-sharepoint-release

13. Automatically expand the groups in the Permission Matrix Report

-Currently, you need to expand the groups as a second operation after the Permission Matrix Report is completed. In some cases, it takes as long as the report itself. I'd like the ability to toggle it by default when running the operation.

-Have the ability to auto-expand the groups in the permission matrix report before the export is done or have a button to Export and Expand the groups in the report.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support Office 365 Labels During Migrations

In a migration from on-premises to Office 365, we need to convert a records management functionality that handles document retention to date in Office 365 labels.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  01- Migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With today’s release of ShareGate Desktop, Retention labels will be kept during the migration, ONLY for migrations on the same tenant. This should allow you to move elements around in your environments and ensure that they don’t lose information along the way.

If you have any other suggestion, don’t hesitate to contact us.

For the full content of the release, please see: https://support-desktop.sharegate.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025997452

15. Invalid Administrators for Groups Site Collections

Sharegate identifies the Universal Group Owners an invalid Administrator for every site collection associated with a Group. As this is default behavior, perhaps this should not be identified as "invalid."

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  07- Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Export Report to PDF, Email, SP library, etc.

Export Report results to...
    - a SharePoint list or library instead of to Excel so all users can see it and set up alerts on it
    - in a CSV format
    - a PDF file
    - send by email, even automatically send some of the reports to the site owners for example
    - a fileshare, or drive of your choice

Also able to do so with Custom Reports.

285 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  04- Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has been our number one request in what seems like forever, but with today’s release of ShareGate Desktop, we can finally have a new number one!

We’ve added the ability to automatically export reports and migration reports to a SharePoint document library upon completion of the task. By leveraging the power of Microsoft Flow (or workflow for on-premise users), you will be able to move that report to wherever you want, be it email or PowerBI.

The options can be found in the setting screen of the report or in the options tab for migrations.

We know we don’t cover the PDF part of the request, but we encourage to go vote for it here: https://feedback.sharegate.com/forums/912880/suggestions/38625361

For the full content of the release, please see: https://sharegate.com/blog/automatically-export-reports-to-sharepoint-release

17. Promote a subsite to a site using PowerShell

I need to migrate 800 subsites and create them as Site Collection. I would like to do this with PowerShell because it's too long with the GUI

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  02- Promote Subsites  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Change group owner in Sharegate

Anthony wants the Owners security group members to be able to manage group memberships, in order to do that he needs to change the group owner from the site collection admin to the "Owners" group. It should be added to the transformation options for a group object when editing one in the Explorer.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  07- Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Export Permissions Matrix Report as .csv

For large organizations the result of the PMR can exceed the row limit of Excel. Exporting as .csv would prevent that.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Cleaned Orphaned Users improvement

Our organization moves a finalized former employee account to a desiganted AD group called "finalized former employees". I wish when I ran the "clean orphaned users report I could choose between disabled users OR users in a specific AD group. I guess Sharegate is querying the AD info in the SP profile service DB and not AD directly so not sure how you could make this work fluidly unless your customer was syncing the particular AD group with SP profile service? But if you can figure a way to use Sharegate to act on users in a specific AD group/OU…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Pow! It's Done.  ·  0 comments  ·  08- Quick Actions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base