How can we improve ShareGate Desktop?

Report on Metadata

Report on the metadata columns used inside lists and libraries.

97 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sarah shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

We know this suggestion has been here for a while now. To be honest, this has never been a priority but today I am a bit curious on learning more about the ultimate need behind this idea.

Would the ability to report on metadata help you prepare for migrations? Or is it connected to content management?

What are your thoughts on this?

28 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good morning,
    I have a SharePoint site to be migrated that has close to a thousand libraries and numerous lists. Within each are contract documents with a metadata field of DocType that is set to pull from a term store, though we believe therer are variences from that setting. Is there a way to run a report on the entirety of the site that gives me # of docs by that doc type field? I only see OOB metadata available in your "create custom report" field pickers.

It would be great to see which terms are actually in use and which aren't.
    it would also be great to see if the additional labels you can add are more frequently used than the 'original' , to see if the company wants to 'rebrand' the term and maybe decomission some terms as a whole.

Basically it would be beneficial for managing your termstore.

The ability to find where Managed Metadata columns are used across all our sites would be useful in both migration and content management situations. We don't know where they get used so the impact of changing the terms isn't fully assessed.

• Raquel Meyers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is both a migration and housekeeping issue for me.

For Migration: understanding where site columns and content types or term sets are actually used.

For house keeping: I would ideally be able to identify unused terms/term sets in the term store. The term store has an ability to grow like a wild animal with rouge unused terms!

• Karyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use RecordPoint to determine the retention periods for our sharepoint files.
    By getting a metadata report, I can compare against the recordpoint rules and easily update rules accordingly.

• Hettie Burger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Team, I need this for my clients to be able to report per list on the columns with required metadata fields which is empty and needs to be completed.

• Matt M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, this would help in preparing for migrations. I worked with a customer recently that use Content Types Heavily, in their current farm, and wanted to consolidate their content types. Getting a report for Content Types wasn't terribly difficult, but understanding which ones were used in which libraries, and being able to map the metadata columns properly (bulk edit) would have been huge help.

Hopefully, this give you some context for my use-case.
    Thanks

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really useful to prepare migrations AND manage contents in scenarios where we have multiple libraries using the same metadata columns (same content type or not). This would be a nice way to check for the usage of a specific value in a termstore or choice column throught different sites/libraries

• Pat Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Useful to get properties that are custom on the list/library (content types). For example, being able to add fields in addition to the SP properties you already give us.

I think it would help for both to be honest. We could use it here to see if there is common metadata across sites that is maybe better dealt with at a tenant level instead. Or where people are using it - is it just list/library columns or is it site fields? Are they duplicating data or fields in site collections, etc?

• Dan Sal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be useful mostly for migrations, but also for day-to-say maintenance.

1) Find usage of managed metadata terms and even term sets for deprecation/cleanup
    2) Identify similarly named list columns to migrate to site columns
    3) Identify duplicate site columns across site collections, report if they were published via content type publishing or not

• Anna Ziarno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be extremely useful to get a report on all metadata on site. We use a workaround with Bulk edit to get data. But it's possible to get only one list at a time. With houndreds of lists you get the idea...

• Bill Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would help a lot towards Information Architecture refinement. Firstly from the perspective of identifying what term sets are no longer used so we can safely remove them, and secondly evaluating similar but slightly different termsets that are user generated. The task as it stands right now gets messy and time consuming in a large organisation. It could also be handy to compare termsets in a source and destination.

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As more of companies move towards various kinds of document tagging for security and/retention purposes, it would be super helpful to be able to identify documents based on the value of the column.

I need to run an aging report on all documents that have a particular value in a managed metadata column

Hello, I need to generate a report that finds all documents in the site collection that have a column and what the column data contains.

For example, if my Content Type = XyZDoc and
    XyZDoc has a Column Named Color, and the color choices are Red, Green, Blue, or Blank
    I need to know when the column is Blank

Bonus Points: I also need to be able to do a bulk update on those items to default them to Green, regardless of which list/library, they exist in.

I don't see a way to create this and I'm unsure if it is available or not?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base