How can we improve ShareGate Desktop?

Powershell Automatic Script Based on UI Parameters

It would be awesome if you had a function in the UI that allowed me to set up a migration, and then generate the corresponding PowerShell (save me the time of figuring how to encode all of my options).

32 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dany Lavertu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What would be great is if we could build a migration through the GUI and then export the job to powershell so we could make minor modifications and understand all the components of the migration job.

• Victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use ShareGate to migrate content from an old SP2010 site to the new SPO site. While in parallel testing we need to migrate changes daily. Being able to script this in Powershell from the UI would be fantastic. This type of feature would help us automate a number of these tasks.

Add the ability to export a configuration for migration from the ShareGate UI out to powershell. It would make the work of automating a mass migration easier if all the actions selected in a migration could be exported to a set of powershell functions that would serve as the starting point of automated migration.

• Alexei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our group needs to adjust some parameters after an SPList or SPSite has been moved based on new/old location (rename groups, adjust list filters, add new groups if the object with broken inheritance is moved between site collections). Would be great if developers could provide post migration script(s) and end users could take care of the Site Collection housekeeping.

• Jess Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there

I'm no powershell expert. But I want to schedule migrations out of hours because I'm getting the throttling message a lot.

I'm following your guide but the powershell options for site migration options are a bit light on. I don't know the codes to just migrate the content of a library and ensure the appropriate content types are assigned during migration etc.

It would be awesome if I create the migration and configure all the components (eg, Migrate Content, Metadata configured, options (untick permissions or web parts etc). Then a button to "Export a powershell command to schedule this migration task" which contains all the code necessary to use following your guide here https://en.share-gate.com/blog/schedule-sharepoint-migration-with-powershell.

Might be pie in the sky stuff... but wanted to ask! ;)

Cheers
    Jess
    Feedback sent from the Migration Report view.

I think it would be interesting when running a report/migration in ShareGate to see the underlying script being ran in Powershell. As someone who isn't savvy when it comes to PowerShell in SharePoint, but attempting to learn it be useful to see the exact scripts that are being ran and how they're formatted for my environment. I know from my Cisco days, when modifying an ASA using the GUI, there was an extra window you could have open that would show you the exact commands being ran, as you made modifications via the GUI. Hope this makes sense?

• Borhan Zadeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Nathalie!

Yes this would be great as setting up a migration is easier to do visually than via the Powershell commands.

• Victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a button to generate PowerShell scripts from the current UI settings. Connected to and from, property template, mapping, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base