How can we improve ShareGate Desktop?

Compare Two Environments

Quickly compare source and destination content in order to see what needs to be incrementally migrated and to prove to customers that every item from the source made it to destination.

To be compared:
-items
-site settings
-site features
-lists and libraries

159 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sophie F. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Thinking About it  ·  AdminBenjamin Niaulin (Admin, ShareGate) responded  · 

Though we haven’t evaluated it yet, we do have an initiative coming up where we will visit some of our migration related insights.

We’ll make sure to look into this and give you an update.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is hard to belived that i cannot find any of validation report even main feature of Sharegate is a migration data. then how we can gurantee if all the files and folders are migrated well from source sharepoint site to destination site? is there any report to compare the contents between sources and destination?

When evaluating a migration with Run Pre-Check, please include Folder Items as part of the output. My use case is that I after a multi-stage migration (A -> B) (wich is an intial migration, then an incremental), I then run an incremental pre-check in the reverse (B -> A) to produce a list of deleted items, since ShareGate does not handle deleting items.

• Bob Marioni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A someone who is working on a 11,700 site migration. This would make my job so much easier. Many of our sites haven't been touched in years and when we explore them the modified dates change and that become useless to us. A comparison report would be the best thing you can do right now.

• Vick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the ability to compare source and target environment would be greatly helpful in determining the success of the migration. Besides reviewing the huge log files a simple comparison would be awesome.

Sites, Items, Settings, Features, Lists, Libraries, Permissions

Would like the ability to compare site collections and have a report generated about the differences.

I agree, I am not even doing a migration but am having a problem in Prod with something that works great in Dev. would love to quickly compare the dev site against the prod site to see if I am missing a feature activation or something like that....

• Chiramisu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with @Douglas Punchak. Delta migrations would be very useful. :D

• Johnny Crockett Lopez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good to compare site collection and site features since Sharegate will enable site features it needs to migration the objects like lists, libraries, etc.

• Hans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to compare between two sites would be incredibly helpful and would dramatically speed up data migration. This would save us so much time, too.

Honestly, this feels like an essential feature that really should be built into the tool. Please add this feature!

• Douglas Punchak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to do a delta migration is a must have for our clients 90% of the time. We've had to overlook ShareGate on a few occasions and go with another product because of this. Our clients want us to migrate everything first, they want to review it and test it out, then just prior to their go-live date, they want a delta migration.

• rpearson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To expand on this: compare things like site settings and features between site collections, and lists and libraries. Example: would have been useful when we rolled out content organizer settings, rules and types. There are many settings areas to change which makes it very easy to miss something.

Detailed report of the number of site and content objects. Include comparision with source and highlight missing or unsuccessfully migrated objects.

Detailed report of the number of site and content objects. Include comparision with source and highlight missing or unsuccessfully migrated objects.

Feedback and Knowledge Base