How can we improve ShareGate Desktop?

Report duplicates files and document

Pull reports on duplicated files or documents. Clean them after.

45 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gabrielle Jacques shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, do we have any news from product group regarding this functionality?

• Neil Howell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have just started a file share migration to a Sharepoint Library, I am utilising Column Metadata instead of folder names that are by "Year & Month". I am seeing lots of duplicate file names that are simply overriding the previous filename that is not the same file. Maybe an option to rename a file if detecting a duplicate name, like a tick box in the options field.

Would be great to have an inventory of duplicate documents stored across site collections based on document name / title.

Hello,

Please consider adding a "Duplicate Files" report to the Reporting section. The report should help identify files with the same name across libraries / lists with the same file name.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Chris Eaheart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going cross-tenant is key here - looking at a single site collection won't cut it. Must also look across site collections created as part of an O365 Group.

• Bob S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A true duplicate would check the file contents using a file hash. But the entities you mention would be great!

• Theo Verdel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

He Nathalie,
    Please can you tell me: are there developments concerning duplicated files. For us it will be very helpfull to use such a feature.

Is there any way to find duplicate files? This would be extremely helpful for us when migrating from shared drives to SharePoint, and even for doc libraries in SharePoint. For instance, one file share has a million files, and over 20,000 duplicates that another file analysis software we use found. It would be great if this is something ShareGate could help track. I didn't even see the option when creating a custom report. Thank you!

It would be handy if Inventory had a report on duplicate files. I have not made progress eliminating folders and continue to find the same document, or a different version , in multiple folders.

It would be handy if Inventory had a report on duplicate files. I have not made progress eliminating folders and continue to find the same document, or a different version , in multiple folders.

• Dave Kuehling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sharegate!

For me it would be based on more than just the metadata, but an actual bit level check. I have found, especially when looking to pull in content from file shares, the file content will be the same, but the name, date stamps, and other things could be different, and will likely be in a different folder. I think the data points you mention are good to use as well, but having that bit level check will truly identify dups.

Thanks!!

I'm not sure if I'm just missing it, but it would be great to have an option to get duplicate file information and maybe even who has all the duplicates so we can contact them. Just a thought.

Please consider building a report that identifies duplicate and near-duplicate documents in a given library, site, site collection, or farm.

Feedback and Knowledge Base