How can we improve ShareGate Desktop?

Add Custom Rules and Filters During Migration or Import

[Admin note: Merged all suggestion related to more complex filtering during Migration or Import]

- Filter on full file names instead of just exensions.
- Filter with wildcards
- Include / Exclude folder by name using the custom templates
- Exclude specific (sub) folders based on names
- Timestamp/range filters - last modified date and created date
- List or site template filters
- Filter by property (name, type, etc.)
- Filter by size
- Filter empty objects (sites, libraries, folders, ...)
- Exclude specific type of objects (Microfeed...)

106 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mathieu Delisle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Douglas Punchak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to add further filtering options. I have a requirement now to not upload any file > 1 GB.

• Asif Khawaja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely required. Especially the ability to filter libraries or lists that are empty.

• Dany Lavertu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the time range and extension filter to structure migrations as well (only available for content migrations for now)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When running a Copy Site Structure task, please stop trying to migrate the MicroFeed. It is know that it cannot be migrated, so, simply skip it.
    Feedback sent from the Migration Report view.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For customers running a ShareGate job on a regular, scheduled basis, the time range filter is a nuisance. You need to keep changing the time range for every job. It would be a big improvement if we could filter by "present date minus 3 years or more" to migrate documents that are 3 years old or older, for example. That way, we could continually send old documents to an archive location, without admin interaction.

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

It would be good to have an -exclude option for Copy-Content.

With SharePoint migrations, in some instances the target environment has some pages already created, and should not be overwritten from the source environment (they are pre-configured).

In the above example, you could have a page library (20 items), but you only ever want to migrate 19 of them.

Agreed I would love to be able to excluded certain files for a File Share to OneDrive migration. For instance "Desktop" because this is be handled via folder redirection.

I'd like to be able to apply multiple filters. This would super handy for cleaning up content as it comes across from a file share.

For example, I want to exclude the any files matching the following exact filenames:

Thumbs.db
    .DS_Store

...as well as any temporary files that match the following wildcards (where the asterisk "*" is the wildcard):

~$*.*
    *.tmp

Being able to apply all of these filename filters would be amazing. Thanks! :)

• Martijn de Bont commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Timerange is available from the UI (thanks!)
    But I am wondering how to set this up for powershell, or when this feature is coming?

• Michael Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi just wondering if this feature exists or has been considered, however quite often during migrations we end up migrating empty folders. For example, due to certain rules we set (e.g. restrict file types or disable migrating files older than a set date) it's quite often when migrating a folder moves, however the contents are empty as the files don't meet the criteria we want to migrate. Would it be possible to have an optoin "Not to migrate empty folders"

Kind Rgds,
    Mike

Please add the ability to skip the migration of a specific site object when using the Copy Structure migration tool. It would be great if I could skip this really big list that is slowing down my migration, without disturbing the rest of the migration. This could be an option in the migration's task view if I right click on a site object that is in the "Started" status.

• Jeroen Schoenmakers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Straight from the logging interface ->exclude this item (or wildcard) in next migration which then writes to the exclude xml you can reference to in the PowerShell commands..

• Ed Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could deselect certain libraries/lists and Pages from the migration like is done with most Backup software. Right now I have about 300 errors I have to fix to migrate over, it would be easier to deselect many of them and recreate the ones with the errors on my own.

• Victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When importing from a FileShare, the "Filter by time range" feature will use the latest date between created and modified values. This can pose a problem since moving a file within a FileShare will update the created, but the modified remains the same. This causes some users to experience unexpected results with the filter and an option to decide to absolutely use last modified would be very useful to avert these problems

During the migration, some users would like more flexibility on managing the content types that gets copied.

It would be great to have an option to exclude or even map content types for full site copy.

For import jobs, since that value exists in a File Share, some users would like to import only more recently used files by using the Last Accessed date for their migration

• Jimmy (Sharegate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a great way to avoid bringing over unnecessary structure to the destination environment and have to clean it up afterwards.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base