Shannon Butler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For my site collections, I think this would be a wonderful addition. It would have to do more than identify them to simplify the clean up process.

In my mind you'd pick the scope & columns, the report would run & show you the groups that are either empty or have no permissions, you could then select and delete them (or delete all).

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have one site collection with over 1,000 groups that appear do not appear on a permission matrix report, which means they are not connected to any site or content. I'd like to delete the orphans.

• Olivier Dupont Renaud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sharon would like for there to be a way to run a report that lets you know which groups are not connected to any site, document library or list.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our environment, user can create their own subsites and users most often don't use the SharePoint Groups that comes by default; they will create custom groups.

Because of that, we have many SharePoint groups without any members in our environment. It would be nice for us to have an insight to display unused SharePoint groups and be able to delete them within Sharegate.

In SharePoint 2013 I would like to report on and clean up Orphaned/unmapped SharePoint Groups. Groups whichs are no longer assisned to a site and/or which do not have any permissions assigned to anywhere whithin the site collection.

I would also be great if you could report on empty SharePoint Groups - without any users/ad groups added to it.

If there is any way of achieving this currently, please let me know.
    Feedback sent from the Explorer view.

• Tod B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see this too. I do leverage ShareGate to help identify unused SharePoint Groups within a collection, but it involves a few manual steps and some familiarity with Excel.

In case anyone's interested the basic steps are:

1) IDENTIFY ALL SP GROUPS THAT ARE BEING USED. Run a permissions matrix report on a collection, down to the Item level. Export to Excel, filter results to only show rows where the Principal Type column shows "SharePoint Group", then copy and paste the User/Group column values to a new worksheet and use the Remove Duplicates feature on the Data tab to show each SP Group value just once.

2) IDENTIFY ALL SP GROUPS IN THE COLLECTION. In Reporting, click New Report and choose SharePoint Group as the Object Type. Click Continue and select the same Target collection as the Permissions Matrix report. Click Run. Export to Excel. Copy and paste the group Name column to the same worksheet as the de-duplicated group names from the Permissions Matrix report.

3) TO IDENTIFY UNUSED SP GROUPS, COMPARE THE VALUES. Select both pasted columns, and choose Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cell Rules > Duplicate Values. All SP Groups that ARE being used to grant permissions will be highlighted. Any SP Groups that are NOT highlighted can be deleted because they are not being used.

• lobermeyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These are groups that are no longer associated with any item or subsite. If a subsite is deleted, the permission group still remains in the site collection.
    It would be helpful to be able to report these groups and be able to removed them.

I have a process which requires sites with specific access levels on visitor and member level for a couple of months. After that the sites are moved to an archive. The groups remain in SP, but are removed from the site permissions. So they are orphaned as well. Is there or can you make a report to find the orphaned groups and clean them up? I got the idea from the add permissions options in Explorer which enumerates the groups.

• charles.savaria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

have the ability to report on groups that are not being used in a site collection / that have no permissions or that are empty (no users).

I love your product! This will finally make my job of administering SharePoint easier. I would love to see a report of SharePoint groups that are not assigned to any site. I have lots of groups that are not longer used because the site was deleted.

Feedback and Knowledge Base