How can we improve ShareGate Desktop?

Rename Tasks

File migration jobs have a default name that cannot be changed. This creates lots of jobs with (near) identical names making it nearly impossible to determine which job is which task.

Make that option available in the UI and for Powershell jobs

29 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminJean-Philippe Beaulieu (Voice of the Customer Manager, ShareGate) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With today’s release of ShareGate Desktop, you can now rename your migration tasks, both in the UI when you migration has started or in PowerShell using the -TaskName argument.

I’m closing this suggestion as we don’t plan to do it for reports. If this is something you wish to have in the future, please don’t hesitate to submit a new suggestion.

For the full release notes, please see: https://support-desktop.sharegate.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025997452

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matt M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Renaming once they are launched is great for the UI, but terrible for PowerShell.

It would be awesome if we could add a parameter to our "Copy*" calls that would allow us to name the task.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be useful to be able to name copy jobs. This is particularly when performing multiple copy jobs to different locations simultaneously and you want to be able to quickly confirm or export the migration report.

I think it would be very nice to see better details on migrations in the task list. For example, I can migrate 5 different subsites of "Home", but the task title will only show "Home to Home" for all of them. Even the destination url column shows the parent level url. Thank you.

I am doing a complex SharePoint Site Migration. and I had to do many data refresh migrations to the same lists.
    I am suggesting adding the option to create a custom Task name and adding the option to export task list and share it with a team.
    Regards,
    Amr

Feedback sent from the Migration Report view.

• Tiffany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to modify the name of a task in the All Tasks View after it has run or a place to add a note. I run several reports that look almost identifical and unless I make note of the session id its not always easy to identify what is what.

• charles.savaria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Improve the name of the Task to show the network path or name of folder that was imported instead of "Import from My Computer to X "

Are submitting lots of OneDrive 2 OneDrive migration jobs via powershell.
    It is hard to tell each job apart, as all jobs are named "Documents to Documents".
    Please give us an option to override job display name, with something meaningful, like destination url / user email / user display name / customer number etc. Give us an option to type whatever we need.

I would also consider a unique identifier, as this would allow us to match task with report.

• jmongell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also make sure that the export file feature persists the Task name as well.
    Currently the Task > Export > report file name reflects this same Task Name as the default 'save as' name.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to add a custom name to my task and a comments/notes field to help keep track of what I am doing. E.g. I would want to be able to put in reference ticket numbers, or a quick note that this is a test run, etc.

• jmongell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While running multiple Import migrations, it would be nice if I could rename my tasks from the default name. For instance a File System to O365 migration shows up as "Import from My Computer to Documents" But I have several of these running and i is difficult to tell them apart. I would like to rename one "Finance migration" and another to "HR Migration" if possible.

allow us to specify own names for reports started with Powershell.
    This allows us to be able to easily see what onedrive is migrated.. Now everything is named "Documents to Documents"

• Jeroen Schoenmakers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It woulld be awesome if you could supply a name for a copy-content powershell command and see this name in the UI "All Tasks" of Sharegate. We are migrating onedrives and for each session we see "Documents to Documents" which makes NO sense.. If we could provide a display name during the copy-content we could fill it with e.g. the name of the user onedrive which would make more sense.

Thanks,
    Jeroen

Hi guys, it's becoming very difficult to know which Migration batch is which if for instance the names are always 'sourcedomain to taregtdomain', if I have run different jobs for different sites

• Dawn Bartnicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using the central admin link for migrations, the migration report shows Central Administration as the source and destination. It would be helpful if this showed the actual site that was migrated.

With the check permissions report I can't find which user I checked. When checking multiple users at the same time, I can´t tell which report belongs to whom.

Kind regards,

Bas Ebeling

Feedback and Knowledge Base