ShareGate Desktop Suggestions

Welcome to the ShareGate Desktop suggestions forum! We love to hear new ideas from you, so don’t hesitate to share your thoughts.

For each idea you share, please include:
1. A description of the idea
2. Why it’s important to you

Also, be sure to comment and vote on the ideas you like!

How can we improve ShareGate Desktop?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Last Accessed Date/File Share Inventory

To be able to view the "Last accessed date" on file share, in the inventory also

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Illegal Character Report

Having a report that show all files with illegal characters.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Inventory SP 2007

Would like to run the inventory feature on a 2007 environment.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This was not an easy decisions, but we had had to make the difficult choice. There are less and less SharePoint 2007 versions out there and the “plumbing” for that platform is immensely different from SharePoint 2010+ versions.

This meant we would have to re-write almost everything for SharePoint 2007 and decided to bring more reports and management features for the latest platforms instead.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your feedback.

4. Cut Inventory File in 1 Million Incrementations

Since Excel has a limitation of 1 million items listable at once, it would be nice to have an option for massive file share migrations where it's possible to create a new xlsx file for every 1 million items listed.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Run Inventory at a Subsite Level

Run Inventory at a subsite level not only a site collection

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to Schedule an Inventory Report

I don’t see a “Schedule” button next to “Run” button, like I see with all of the other report sections.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SharePoint and Fileshare Inventory Drill Down

It would be neat if you could take the SharePoint inventory report and drill down into the individual stats :

- Expand workflows since they do not show up in the errors that you can export
    - Be able to click on a summary like unused sites and see a list of all the unused sites
    - Expand checked out files, custom master pages, unsupported templates
    - Sort site collections by size, number of sites, workflows, etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Detect System files and Hidden files pre-migration

I would also like to use the chance to request that you submit feedback to your team for a “wish” so your team consideres updating the documentation to indicate what files are skipped from attempting to copy and will not be in the final report, incorporating a better explanation of “skipped” in the “filter by status” on the results page and also add “not considered for copying” (or similar wording) to allow a user to see which files were not even attempted for copy from the source.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add migrate now button to source analysis page

When running a pre-migration Source Analysis, I end up on a page that shows the results. It could be slightly more efficient to have a button "Migrate Now" that would take you into the migration flow with the analyzed source already preselected as a source for the migration

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Display Drive name in File Share Source Analysis

in the list of drive letters under plan > source analysis > file share. can the name that appears in the windows explorer also appear next to the mapped drive letter?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Library analysis

my use-case was the desire to just export a spreadsheet of all folders and files within the document library, and Source Analysis appeared to be the way to do that. If I analyse the entire Site Collection and export that as a spreadsheet, I will then need to filter out all irrelevant sites, pages, libraries, folders, files. Perhaps a Library Analysis could be added as an option?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Site/Collection structure report

Report that can show you the listed site assets for an entire subsite or collection.

Basically, it would be like looking at the site contents for any selected targets. This would help people flatten there footprints, or consolidate material that's similar between sites. This would help with migration planning, unused content cleanup and help eliminate user created subs that have no content or activity.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Include modified date in source analysis

Please could you include the file modified date as a field in the inventory report (now source analysis).

This would be extremely helpful in cases where you are planning to migrate content within a certain timeframe (e.g. last 6 months). I understand this feature is available in the actual migration but it would be useful in the report to gain a better understanding of the size of the data set.

Thanks,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add an Office 365 Groups Filter in the Inventory

Add a filter option to select O365 groups vs site collections in the Inventory. Just like in the Explorer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Check Blocked Files in OneDrive Tenant

In OneDrive admin-center you can block file extensions from sync.
    When doing inventory from file server to Office365 it should contact the tenant to get the list of blocked extensions and incorporate this in the inventory report.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve Error Messages in Inventory Report

Improve error message to warning when running a Inventory report

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Additional columns to Source Analaysis

I’m just starting my next migration project – based on SharePoint Analysis, ShareGate is providing. May I ask for a few more columns in this report? I’d need those additional columns:

Owner(s) – People Names – Access Level

Owner Group – Group Name – Access Level

Access Request Mail – Address(es)

Created – Date, when Site has been created

I can see all this information in ShareGate Explorer, but unfortunately it does not find it’s way to the Analysis Report. I think it might help much more others as well – and columns not needed, are simply hided, but to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Report on Customization of built-in content types

Customization of built-in content types. I’ve seen this at a couple of clients. It would be great if this could be identified in advance during the analysis. Depending on the scenario, I address this by pushing the customizations out to the inheriting custom content types, or by creating an intermediate content type and changing the custom content type inheritance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to Output OneDrive Site Address and its Related Email Address

Having Sharegate output the OneDrive Site Address and email address of each user would allow me to use a the user mapping file as a primary key in a powershell script to map OneDrives for Source and Destination tenant.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base