ShareGate Desktop Suggestions

Welcome to the ShareGate Desktop suggestions forum! We love to hear new ideas from you, so don’t hesitate to share your thoughts.

For each idea you share, please include:
1. A description of the idea
2. Why it’s important to you

Also, be sure to comment and vote on the ideas you like!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  01- Migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Display Report Filters/Criteria in Results and Tasks List

When I open a completed Task that was from a Report I would like the ability to review what criteria I used to create the report. For example, I ran a report 2 days ago and all I can see is "New Report on 11 targets". Someone has now asked me which Targets I used and I would like to be able to verify those Targets instead of trying to rely on my memory. The same applies to the criteria I use for reports - I'd like to be able to review that if I look at the Task again…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Scheduled task with end date

Hello my friends at SG. i would like to suggest you add an end-date to scheduled tasks. I love the feature, I can set my migration plan days in advance with copy if newer, get the task to run daily yet I have to be very careful to stop the schedule on switch day, if i have the option to schedule a repeating task with end-date that will save me a lot. Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Bigger font sizes for high resolution screens

It would be useful to have the ability to easily increase the size of the font.  I have been using ShareGate via our sever and the font is so small as to be almost unreadable.  This may be due to the fact that I am using a very high resolution monitor on my computer and using his to access the server via remote desktop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  17- Settings, Licensing & Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add option to bulk change Avoid unwanted edits - Always Open Read-Only for Office documents

In Office client we can now:

Avoid unwanted edits: Set your workbooks to open as read-only to prevent accidental changes. Go to File > Info > Protect Workbook > Always Open Read-Only

But with several documents this will be an tedious task.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  04- Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  08- Quick Actions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Orphaned users' checked-out files

Hi - Is it possible to create a custom report whereby I show files that are checked out to users and also include a field to indicate whether that user is orphaned?
    Many thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  13- Other Management Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add the list/library URL in documents reporting

When running the report to identify all checked out files it would be great if there was a was to have a column that lists just the document library without the file name. A variant of the "location" column but without the file name.

This could then be used to go to the document library containing the checked out files. In cases of the "never checked in version" situation the site admin could then open the take ownership menu to take ownership. When migrating hundreds of sites with hundreds of document libraries this would be a great time saver unless…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. selectively preserve/exclude permissions

When importing from a file share, it would be nice to have to ability to preserve permissions on folders but ignore permissions on files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. User mapping for permissions only

apply user mapping to permissions only (exclude from metadata so invalid user values are still preserved in columns)

Currently we are using Sharegate powershell module to automate our migration. We have used a user mapping file(.sgum) which includes an explicit mapping for invalid users. However, our requirement is to keep metadata(created by, modified by) as it is (even it is an invalid user) after migration but to replace the item permission with mapped destination user. We noticed, when we use sgum file it replaces both metadata and item permission. Is there a way to stop replacing the metadata as per…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Dependency location option in Powershell

I am trying to setup a migration through powershell, using the copy-site command. I cannot set it to copy dependancies at the ROOT level, not mirror like in the UI

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Start Bulk edit content/metadata from a report

I have a need to modify the metadata of all Home.aspx pages across all subsites. I have run a report but the only bulk option i can do is to do with approval. It would be great to be able to from a report, select multiple items and edit the metadata in bulk.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Active Authentication process

Some companies use active/passive authentication process. ShareGate supports the passive authentication process but not the active one,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve the drag & drop movement in the app

When you move team site for example with your mouse to the left it keeps moving to a different place holder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Custom Feature GUIDs and Titles

It's not unusual to encounter opaque CUSTOM FEATURES warnings/errors like this:

The following custom site collection features are activated: '8dfaf93d-e23c-4471-9347-07368668ddaf', '893627d9-b5ef-482d-a3bf-2a605175ac36', '738250ba-9327-4dc0-813a-a76928ba1842', '5709298b-1876-4686-b257-f101a923f58d'. Custom features need to be manually deployed at the destination of the migration.

While we all understand the need to report the specific feature GUID, it would certainly be an improvement to include the feature name, when known:

The following custom site collection features are activated: '8dfaf93d-e23c-4471-9347-07368668ddaf' (MobileWordViewer), '893627d9-b5ef-482d-a3bf-2a605175ac36' (MobilePowerPointViewer), '738250ba-9327-4dc0-813a-a76928ba1842' (PowerPointEditServer), '5709298b-1876-4686-b257-f101a923f58d' (PowerPointServer). Custom features need to be manually deployed at the destination of the migration.

To be clear, we are not suggesting the tool will…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  01- Migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Use local regional settings for export to excel / csv

To prevent compatibility issues when using a SG report in a PowerShell script, ensuring local regional settings are used to generate the csv would be nice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Workflow report - indicate which list uses it

This report would be even better if a column was provided that indicated WHICH LIST had the workflow. When a site has scores of lists, it's a real hassle tracking down the offending list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base