ShareGate Desktop Suggestions

Welcome to the ShareGate Desktop suggestions forum! We love to hear new ideas from you, so don’t hesitate to share your thoughts.

For each idea you share, please include:
1. A description of the idea
2. Why it’s important to you

Also, be sure to comment and vote on the ideas you like!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Migration Dashboard

it would be great to have a dashboard page where I could see stats on my migrations, like throughput, items per second, etc. I routinely try to compute these values now but it is very manual.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  01- Migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expand All for Pre-Check results

Would be helpful if I could expand all the items on the pre-check results list. It would be much faster than having to export the entire list to a file and open it in another program.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. support lookup columns in sibling sites

Some users might have created lookups that point to sibling sites, or subsites under the same site. When you have that, you'll get an error on your column:

The lookup column cannot be copied because the list ‘[list name]' is not in a parent site or in the same site as the column.

It would be useful if there was a way to still support the column dependency as it is at the source. As manually rebuilding the source before migration is not always possible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make the auto-update off by default

When installing Sharegate and first launching the application, some users might face an auto-update and end up with the latest version.
    For some organisations, they might not want to allow the update if they need to approve the software.
    A solution would be to make the auto-update be turned off by default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  17- Settings, Licensing & Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Insane Mode per Job

I'd like ot keep the Indane Mode setting on for the most part, but I'd love it if it were possible to disable it for a specific job (e.g. creating Document Sets with Managed Metadata columns).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improved Migration Reports Filters

During and after a migration, on the results list you can currently filter by the status and/or item level and version. It would be useful to be able to filter on "Type" as well. So, for example, I could view just the sites that were migrated, etc. Of course we can export the data, but having a quick reference in the UI would be nice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Change Spaces for Underscores _ During a Migration

We’re moving data from local file shares to SharePoint. After a clean-up the data is moved using ShareGate Desktop Migration. Coming from a Windows file share there are folders and file names with spaces in the names. Moving to SharePoint one space (one char) is translated in %20 (three char).

This will result in the standard SharePoints name path + folder\sub folder........\filename.ext it goes over the max. char. string length.

It should be nice to have an option in ShareGate Desktop Migration to change one spaces from the file share to one underscore (_) in SharePoint. One space char from…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Report on setting "Allow members to share the site..."

Create a report which returns all the sites which have the option "Allow members to share the site and individual files and folders" enabled (found in the site Access Request Settings)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  04- Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Deeper Inventory Check - Check for Office Online Compatibility

Hi

It would help me a lot if I would have an option in the inventory which checks if the files will have trouble in Excel online e.g. xml maps, Web queries, ...
    Same for Word and PowerPoint.

Background: We are having more and more people who only have E1 license or lower and they need to work with the online versions of Office.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  03- Pre-Migration analysis  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Preserve Workflow GUID

When creating workflows, some users might have them connection with the GUID, right now when migrating, we don't preserve the GUID and that connection can be lost.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Use Excel to import to different libraries

I want to use the exported metadata in Excel to add for example a new column to define different folders, instead of creating different Excel files for each list/library.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  01- Migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. New Report request: Reaching max version limit minor and major

Hi there

It would be great to have a default report for "Files reaching max version limits" which returns all files nearing their max version regardless of in any major and minor state they are in: eg 0.400 or 1.400 or 2.422 and so on.

At this point in time, I can run a report to get this info but it is manual for each, so i have to specify greater than "0.250" and less than "1.0". Then i save the results and run another report modifying it for the next major version eg greater than "1.250" and less than…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  04- Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Google Chrome Extension to Select Source/Destination

Suggestion - Make a Google Chrome extension to select source/destination.

Could send URL/OAuth cookies to SG tool. Would be HUGE win for site admins, ease of use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  01- Migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add more properties when running Get-File in PowerShell

User would like to extract the metadata from the Get-File command

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  10- Manage with PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Treeview in Connections

Has there been any discussion on bringing back the treeview for the explorer pane? I've tried to get used to the new navigation, but the amount of clicking it takes now to drill down find sites is frustrating at best. Even as an option would be great.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  07- Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Provide a way for end user to trigger the copy of a template Site Collection

i want to create a self-service for the users to create new sitecollections.

Sharepoint sites should be created automatically by cloning a “default site” from within sharegate.

Is it possible to trigger this from a sharepoint list (e.g. with a workflow on a new created item in the list) , where people create a new item with the name of the new sitecollection

and then Sharegate is creating a new sitecollection by cloning our “default sitecollection” ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add a SharePoint Online example using an email address in the connection screen

"other user" let's you use any type of format you want (straight username, domain/user, e-mail address, etc.) but only the domain/user format is displayed and it can be confusing to users.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base