How can we improve ShareGate Apricot?

Report on empty O365 groups

Flag O365 groups that have no members (and owners - if that's the case) and help us simplify the clean up process.

- From the Assistant or some kind of report

34 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Shannon Butler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Building it  ·  AdminJordan Rowe (Product Owner, ShareGate) responded  · 

We’re currently working on a solution within ShareGate Apricot which will help find groups that are orphaned (without owners) and help you find a suitable new owner for it. (or you can also decide to archive it directly)

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminJean-Philippe Beaulieu (Voice of the Customer Manager, ShareGate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Rachel, I'm JP form ShareGate Desktop's team. I just saw your comment and after a quick search, it seems like at some point we merged 2 suggestions together, one to Report on empty O365 groups and one to Report on empty/unused SharePoint groups (yours). Clearly, those are 2 different things and the suggestions shouldn't have been merge. I'll unmerge the suggestions right away and also discuss your idea to be able to report on empty SP groups with my team. I'll keep you updated with any changes related to this. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or comments. Regards,

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@JordanRowe - this requests was transferred INCORRECTLY from another list - what you stated is a fine idea but NOT what i need and NOT what is being asked for

First, I'm talking about SharePoint Permission groups, NOT O365 groups.

When you delete a site from a site collection, the permission groups associated with that site are left behind. Eventually, you have a pile of permission groups that are not attached to any site and are NOT associated with any content. You can see this by running a report of ALL permission groups in the site collection and comparing it with the list of groups in a permission matrix report. In my case, I have over 2,000 groups in my collection but only 1200 in a permission matrix report. That means I have over 800 groups that are not used. They are leftover or orphaned.

A permission matrix report shows all the groups that are in use. I want the opposite. I want a report that shows all the groups that are NOT in use so I can delete them.

• Michaela Meißner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

that would be a great function.
    We have more than 4.000 sitecolletions and more than 25.000 SharePoint groups. to find out which groups are not in use or empty would be really great for us. Then we can clean up the farm.
    The same we could need with AD groups. We have used in the past AD groups for permissions. Yet we will have AD groups which are deleted in AD but still available in SharePoint. It would be great to have a report / function to find the AD-groups which are not in use and can delete this groups.

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For my site collections, I think this would be a wonderful addition. It would have to do more than identify them to simplify the clean up process.

In my mind you'd pick the scope & columns, the report would run & show you the groups that are either empty or have no permissions, you could then select and delete them (or delete all).

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have one site collection with over 1,000 groups that appear do not appear on a permission matrix report, which means they are not connected to any site or content. I'd like to delete the orphans.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In SharePoint 2013 I would like to report on and clean up Orphaned/unmapped SharePoint Groups. Groups whichs are no longer assisned to a site and/or which do not have any permissions assigned to anywhere whithin the site collection.

I would also be great if you could report on empty SharePoint Groups - without any users/ad groups added to it.

If there is any way of achieving this currently, please let me know.
    Feedback sent from the Explorer view.

• Tod B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see this too. I do leverage ShareGate to help identify unused SharePoint Groups within a collection, but it involves a few manual steps and some familiarity with Excel.

In case anyone's interested the basic steps are:

1) IDENTIFY ALL SP GROUPS THAT ARE BEING USED. Run a permissions matrix report on a collection, down to the Item level. Export to Excel, filter results to only show rows where the Principal Type column shows "SharePoint Group", then copy and paste the User/Group column values to a new worksheet and use the Remove Duplicates feature on the Data tab to show each SP Group value just once.

2) IDENTIFY ALL SP GROUPS IN THE COLLECTION. In Reporting, click New Report and choose SharePoint Group as the Object Type. Click Continue and select the same Target collection as the Permissions Matrix report. Click Run. Export to Excel. Copy and paste the group Name column to the same worksheet as the de-duplicated group names from the Permissions Matrix report.

3) TO IDENTIFY UNUSED SP GROUPS, COMPARE THE VALUES. Select both pasted columns, and choose Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cell Rules > Duplicate Values. All SP Groups that ARE being used to grant permissions will be highlighted. Any SP Groups that are NOT highlighted can be deleted because they are not being used.

• lobermeyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These are groups that are no longer associated with any item or subsite. If a subsite is deleted, the permission group still remains in the site collection.
    It would be helpful to be able to report these groups and be able to removed them.

I have a process which requires sites with specific access levels on visitor and member level for a couple of months. After that the sites are moved to an archive. The groups remain in SP, but are removed from the site permissions. So they are orphaned as well. Is there or can you make a report to find the orphaned groups and clean them up? I got the idea from the add permissions options in Explorer which enumerates the groups.

• charles.savaria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

have the ability to report on groups that are not being used in a site collection / that have no permissions or that are empty (no users).

I love your product! This will finally make my job of administering SharePoint easier. I would love to see a report of SharePoint groups that are not assigned to any site. I have lots of groups that are not longer used because the site was deleted.

Feedback and Knowledge Base